I found a money-management trick in a financial planner's book and used it to do more in months than I had previously.

  •  "Finance for the People" is a new personal finance book that takes a stand against structural injustice.
  • Paco de Leon, a financial adviser, advocates establishing weekly money time in his book.
  • It helped me submit my taxes and change my name on my bank accounts after I used it for a month.
  • Personal Finance Insider has more stories.

It's exhausting to hear personal finance experts advise people to give up their morning coffee to save money for a down payment on a house without considering how much the cost of living has changed for millennials and Gen Zers in particular, especially in the aftermath of the pandemic's financial devastation.

Enter Paco de Leon, a lesbian Filipina financial adviser who wrote "Finance for the People: Getting a Grip on Your Finances." De Leon examines systemic inequalities in our connection with money in the book, then offers readers relatable guidance on how to attain "financial greatness" within that system.

De Leon's first step is to schedule weekly finance time before going into the fine gritty of debt repayment, saving for an emergency fund, and increasing wealth through investment. Each week, set aside 30 minutes to an hour to complete personal finance duties such as reviewing your monthly subscriptions or calling your auto insurance provider to see if you qualify for a reduced rate.

It's easy for folks like myself who have had financial difficulties in the past to let money-related tasks snowball into larger problems over time. I set my own weekly money time for one month after reading the book, and it assisted me in completing these three terrifying personal finance duties.

1. I must file my taxes.
Because I recently had a gender-affirming legal name change, I spent weeks fretting about my taxes. I felt as if I had a cheerleader in my corner who understood what I was going through after reading "Finance for the People." I decided to do my taxes for an hour at a time, and I was surprised at how quickly they were completed.

In 2021, I earned money from both freelance and full-time work. To prepare to file my taxes properly, I needed to gather W-2s, 1099s, and other paperwork. It took me an hour and a half to get organised, then another half hour to file my taxes with H&R Block.

2. Inform my service providers of my new legal name.
My legal name change is one of the most difficult personal finance jobs I've ever faced. Changing my name was one of the nicest and most joyful decisions I've ever made, yet I'm terrified of governmental processes. Customer service professionals, whether on the phone or in person, always make me feel like I'm cheating the system or that my life experiences are simply inconvenient for them.

I made the calls during my Wednesday lunch break. Having a scheduled time on my calendar to work on an emotionally charged personal financial chore made such a significant difference.

3. Visit the disability office in my state.
In November, I had gender-affirming surgery, but I have yet to get compensated for the time I missed from work. I had to travel to the state disability office and fight for my medical leave check in person.

I set aside an hour of my weekly finance time to deal with this, but the queue took two and a half hours to clear. Nearly 100 people queued up to talk with three customer care professionals about disability and medical benefits.

Scheduling a time especially for this chore, like filing my taxes and contacting my service providers, helped me mentally and emotionally prepare. I even brought the book with me to read while waiting in line, which helped me feel less isolated.

The capacity of "Finance for the People" to meet the reader where they are in their financial path is something I value the most. Some people want assistance in selecting a retirement plan or saving for their first house, while others simply require encouragement to establish a sound financial foundation.
I found a money-management trick in a financial planner's book and used it to do more in months than I had previously. I found a money-management trick in a financial planner's book and used it to do more in months than I had previously. Reviewed by Patel Aatish on March 07, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.